Definition of third-degree in English:
1Denoting burns of the most severe kind, affecting tissue below the skin.
- Those slightly farther from the center of the explosion did not die immediately, but suffered from severe third-degree burns all over their bodies, in particular to any areas that were exposed directly to the heat.
- Some second-degree burns can heal with time, but deep ones and third-degree burns require skin grafts.
- A third-degree burn results in the destruction of skin, and may extend into the superficial fascia, muscle and bone.
2North American Law Denoting the least serious category of a crime, especially murder.
- Saunders pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and was sentenced in July to 20 to 40 years in prison.
- Hughes pleaded guilty to third-degree murder, conspiracy and a gun charge and got 17 to 30 years.
- The men were arrested Saturday for third-degree intellectual property counterfeiting.
noun(the third degree) Back to top
Long and harsh questioning, especially by police, to obtain information or a confession.
- When I got home from school that afternoon I got the third degree from my father about how I had ruined his reputation as a minister and how I had ruined my own life.
- She drags Tom inside with her so she can give him the third degree about this boy he's found for Laura.
- I don't know why I'm giving you the third degree.
Definition of third-degree in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan