Definition of third-degree in English:
1Denoting burns of the most severe kind, affecting tissue below the skin.
- Those slightly farther from the center of the explosion did not die immediately, but suffered from severe third-degree burns all over their bodies, in particular to any areas that were exposed directly to the heat.
- Some second-degree burns can heal with time, but deep ones and third-degree burns require skin grafts.
- A third-degree burn results in the destruction of skin, and may extend into the superficial fascia, muscle and bone.
2North American Law Denoting the least serious category of a crime, especially murder.
- Saunders pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and was sentenced in July to 20 to 40 years in prison.
- Hughes pleaded guilty to third-degree murder, conspiracy and a gun charge and got 17 to 30 years.
- The men were arrested Saturday for third-degree intellectual property counterfeiting.
noun(the third degree) Back to top
Long and harsh questioning, especially by police, to obtain information or a confession.
- When I got home from school that afternoon I got the third degree from my father about how I had ruined his reputation as a minister and how I had ruined my own life.
- She drags Tom inside with her so she can give him the third degree about this boy he's found for Laura.
- I don't know why I'm giving you the third degree.
Definition of third-degree in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.