Definition of thistle in English:
1A widely distributed herbaceous plant of the daisy family, which typically has a prickly stem and leaves and rounded heads of purple flowers.
- Carlina, Carduus, and other genera, family Compositae
- It attacks the thistle's leaves and stem, forming orange-brown lumps called pustules.
- It is a tall plant up to 3ft high and the flower head is just as prickly as a thistle.
- These so-called host plants include many broadleaf weeds and cover crops such as nettles, mallow, chicory, dandelion, thistles, bindweed, deadly nightshade, and many clovers.
2A plant of the thistle type as the Scottish national emblem.
- This is usually identified as the cotton thistle (Onopordum acanthium)
- Also known as cotton thistle, it is native to Mediterranean Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- The images of the Scottish thistle, the lion rampant, and the Saint Andrew's cross on the national flags come from that period.
- The buttonholes worn by the groom and best man were made from an English rose and a Scottish thistle.
- Example sentences
- Sean, with his winning blond thistly spikes, seemed to be more the focal point, both vocally and visually than before, while Ben took on the role of backing vocals and threw some poses, which were mirrored by the crowd.
- It's a dreich and miserable place, a landscape of abandoned fridges and cookers, a windswept, unkempt, thistly moor.
Words that rhyme with thistleabyssal, bristle, epistle, gristle, missal, scissel, whistle
Definition of thistle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan