- A wooden ladder lashed together with leather thongs led into a hole into the ceiling above.
- The assortment of straps and leather thongs and long, heavy stirrups annoyed him.
- He managed adequately, though, in subzero temperatures by wrapping his feet in meal sacks which were nailed to his 12-foot long skis and lashed in place with leather thongs.
- Some spider thongs, suspender G-strings, and skimpy tops come with a warning that they aren't for everyone.
- The women favor skimpy bikinis with a thong cut.
- Confidence evaporating, I dive to my right to escape and find myself in ladies lingerie amid a kaleidoscopic array of skimpy bras, thongs and fishnets.
- As well, skip the sandals and stick to thongs or flip-flops.
- Get your feet on the coolest loafers, lounges, sandals, thongs, and sneakers of the season, and be a step ahead of the rest.
- Style is not necessarily synonymous with formal, making it possible for you to give casual shoes like thongs, slides and sneakers a try.
verb[with object] archaic
- Example sentences
- Roughly made thonged sandals were worn only in lowland areas where the terrain was rocky.
- It's hard to keep the three sun-hungry Seattle guys off the long golden beaches where the thonged girls are.
- Example sentences
- The next day, Frank and I were looking at some thongy sandals in the local leather emporium when I heard a voice behind me.
Thong is related to twinge (Old English), which originally meant to pinch. In Anglo-Saxon times a thong was a shoelace. It then came to be used for any narrow strip of leather, and finally to any thin strip of material, from which came the modern use for minuscule underwear in the 1970s.
Words that rhyme with thongalong, belong, bong, chaise longue, Geelong, gong, Guangdong, Haiphong, Heilong, Hong Kong, Jong, King Kong, long, mah-jong, Mao Zedong, Mekong, nong, pong, prolong, sarong, Shillong, song, souchong, strong, throng, tong, Vietcong, wrong
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thong
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.