(also thornback ray)
- A ray of shallow inshore waters which has spines on the back and tail, in particular:
More example sentences
- ● a prickly-skinned European ray which is often eaten as ‘skate’ (Raja clavata, family Rajidae). ● a ray which lives in the warm waters of the Pacific (Platyrhinoidis triseriata, family Platyrhinidae).
- Although they do not undergo a distinct migration, thornbacks appear to move inshore slightly to spawn.
- Although thornbacks are found throughout UK waters, as always there are certain key areas that give you a better than average chance.
- The best ray for eating, and the one best known in Europe, is Raja clavata, the thornback ray.
More definitions of thornbackDefinition of thornback in:
- The US English dictionary