noun[mass noun] Psychiatry
- A disorder of cognitive organization, characteristic of psychotic mental illness, in which thoughts and conversation appear illogical and lacking in sequence and may be delusional or bizarre in content: overinclusive thinking has been suggested as an explanation of certain forms of thought disorder [count noun]: schizophrenia is primarily a thought disorderMore example sentences
- In an acute psychotic episode it is the positive symptoms, i.e., hallucinations, delusions, thought disorder, not the negative symptoms, e.g., social withdrawal, that the antipsychotics control.
- These include delusions, hallucinations and thought disorder, which together may be called ‘psychosis’.
- When assessing a child's thinking, it is important to differentiate the thought disorder of psychosis from developmental delays or language disorders.
More definitions of thought disorderDefinition of thought disorder in:
- The US English dictionary