noun[mass noun, usually as modifier] US
- Legislation which makes an offender’s third felony punishable by life imprisonment or other severe sentence: we got a three strikes law here—three felonies and it’s lifeMore example sentences
- The Supreme Court will rule on the three strikes law this term.
- Most states with three strikes legislation confine it to serious violent crime.
- That makes him eligible for life in prison under California's three strikes law and the prosecutor in the case is asking the judge to impose that life sentence.
1990s: from the phrase three strikes and you're out (with allusion to baseball).
More definitions of three strikesDefinition of three strikes in:
- The US English dictionary