Definition of thresher in English:
1A person or machine that separates grain from corn or other crops by beating.
- Agriculture thrives on the other side of those hills; grain threshers reaping wheat, trucks full of tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelons.
- Drilling rigs replaced grain threshers and steam tractors at a frenzied pace.
- Magnus described respiratory symptoms among threshers of grain in 1555.
2 (also thresher shark) A surface-living shark with a long upper lobe to the tail. Threshers often hunt in pairs, lashing the water with their tails to herd fish into a tightly packed shoal.
- Alopias vulpinus, family Alopidae
- ‘In September a thresher shark was spotted near Turbot Bank, off Freshwater West,’ said Mark Burton, assistant marine conservation officer at Skomer Marine Nature Reserve.
- At 28m to the west of the channel mouth is an interesting pinnacle which acts as a magnet for schooling fish and their predators, including the infamous ‘grim reaper’ - the thresher shark.
- Peering through my viewfinder, I could scarcely believe what I was seeing, because the pelagic thresher shark is extremely rare.
Words that rhyme with thresherflesher, fresher, pressure
Definition of thresher in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.