noun (plural thumris)[mass noun]
- 1(In Hindustani classical music) a light romantic form.More example sentences
- A popular form of light classical music, thumri essentially communicates with many variations of ‘Vak’ or the spoken word.
- It is light classical in nature and thus often sung in the vocal genre of thumri.
- In fact, the website points out that its early exponents were classically trained singers specialising in khayaal and thumri styles of singing.
- 1.1 [count noun] A romantic song.More example sentences
- His repertoire consisted of khayals, thumris, ghazals and bhajans.
- The fusion show, ‘Soul India’ will consist of ‘familiar’ ghazals, thumris, khayals and a choice of popular Tamil and Hindi film songs, we are told.
- I also sing thumris and bhajans and they always go down well with the audience everwhere.
from Hindi ṭhumrī.