Definition of thumri in English:
noun (plural thumris)[mass noun]
1(In Hindustani classical music) a light romantic form.
- A popular form of light classical music, thumri essentially communicates with many variations of ‘Vak’ or the spoken word.
- It is light classical in nature and thus often sung in the vocal genre of thumri.
- In fact, the website points out that its early exponents were classically trained singers specialising in khayaal and thumri styles of singing.
1.1 [count noun] A romantic song.
- His repertoire consisted of khayals, thumris, ghazals and bhajans.
- The fusion show, ‘Soul India’ will consist of ‘familiar’ ghazals, thumris, khayals and a choice of popular Tamil and Hindi film songs, we are told.
- I also sing thumris and bhajans and they always go down well with the audience everwhere.
from Hindi ṭhumrī.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia