Definition of thunderbolt in English:
1A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.
- I expect she was trying to escape the Suffolk weather, which, when it's not bombarding us with thunderbolts and lightning (very very frightening), is chucking meteorites at us.
- When the bizarre and woefully ugly characters of Royston Vasey experience thunderbolts and lightning in their beloved village, they begin to imagine it is the end of the world.
- However, during thunderbolts and lightning I prefer to exercise caution.
1.1A supposed bolt or shaft believed to be the destructive agent in a lightning flash, especially as an attribute of a god such as Jupiter or Thor.
- In the latter, a monstrous giant steals Zeus's thunderbolts, which are retrieved in a manner similar to Thor's thunderweapons.
- The three brothers became the blacksmiths of the Olympian gods, creating Zeus' thunderbolts, Poseidon's trident.
- The Cyclopes gave Zeus the thunderbolt and Hades a helmet, gave Poseidon his trident.
1.2Used to refer to a very sudden or unexpected event or item of news, especially of an unpleasant nature: the full force of what she had been told hit her like a thunderbolt
More example sentences
- The news was a thunderbolt to those who knew the couple.
- Her murder is a political thunderbolt that, if correctly harnessed, could single-handedly save the pro-euro cause.
- It almost seemed a reversal of nature that there should be a reply to the thunderbolts of Clark.
1.3 informal A very fast and powerful shot, throw, or stroke: Peacock slammed a thunderbolt past Beeney and then the keeper was beaten by Kelly’s header
More example sentences
- Hogan exposed some poor Roscommon defending before unleashing a thunderbolt of a shot, which flew past Martin and almost burst the net.
- However, he quickly made amends with a crisp strike at the end of another well-worked move and then flying winger Sam Crompton fired high into the net with a thunderbolt of a shot.
- In the 87th minute Trevor Whieldon broke up a Halton attack and found David Knapp on the right wing, Knapp fed Earnshaw, who completed his hat-trick with a thunderbolt shot from just inside the area.
Words that rhyme with thunderboltdeadbolt • Humboldt
Definition of thunderbolt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan