A low-growing aromatic plant of the mint family. The small leaves are used as a culinary herb and the plant yields a medicinal oil.
- Genus Thymus, family Labiatae: many species, in particular common (or garden) thyme (T. vulgaris).
- Add all the spices, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, shallots, garlic, vanilla pod and lemon slices.
- Other powerful herbs include dill, garden thyme, rosemary and peppermint.
- Home grown herbs would have included coriander, dill, thyme, opium poppy and summer savoury.
- Example sentences
- Peppered Parmesan ‘French fries’ were all peppery at the front of the tongue and thymy at the back.
- The air is sweetened by the thymy odours of mountain and moor.
- Above hung the thymy hill where dry grasses and bracken murmured or screamed in the wind.
Words that rhyme with thymebegrime, Chaim, chime, climb, clime, crime, dime, grime, half-time, I'm, lime, mime, mistime, part-time, prime, rhyme, rime, slime, sublime, sub-prime, time
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: thyme
Definition of thyme in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.