noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
The main hormone produced by the thyroid gland, acting to increase metabolic rate and so regulating growth and development.
- An iodine-containing amino acid; chemical formula: C15H11NO4I4
More example sentences
- The thyroid releases too much of the hormone thyroxine, which increases the person's basal metabolic rate.
- Human beings require iodine for the production of the thyroid hormones, thyroxine and triiodothyronine.
- When your thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine, you develop hyperthyroidism.
Definition of thyroxine in:
- The US English dictionary