Definition of tiara in English:
1A jewelled ornamental band worn on the front of a woman’s hair.
- You can certainly have your professional hair designer add hair ornaments, hair jewelry, snoods or a tiara.
- She received a cheque for E500, a sash and a tiara, hair products, a piece of crystal and flowers.
- The auction contains a treasure trove of signature pieces including chokers, tiaras, earrings and a myriad of other costume jewelry once owned by Hilton.
2A high diadem encircled with three crowns and worn by a pope.
- Finally, at a time designated by the Pope, the eldest cardinal deacon crowns the new Pope with the triple tiara of the papacy.
- God the Father, he notices, is wearing a papal tiara, ‘a comparison of the pope to God.’
- The testa di cavallo shield, superimposed on the crossed keys, is crowned by the papal tiara.
Mid 16th century (denoting the Persian royal headdress): via Latin from Greek, partly via Italian. Sense 1 dates from the early 18th century.
Words that rhyme with tiaraAsmara, Bukhara, carbonara, Carrara, cascara, Connemara, Damara, Ferrara, Gemara, Guadalajara, Guevara, Honiara, Lara, marinara, mascara, Nara, Sahara, Samara, samsara, samskara, shikara, Tamara, Varah, Zara
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.