Definition of tibia in English:
noun (plural tibiae /-bɪiː/ or tibias)Anatomy
1The inner and typically larger of the two bones between the knee and the ankle (or the equivalent joints in other terrestrial vertebrates), parallel with the fibula.
- The cause of Blount disease is unknown, but it causes abnormal growth at the top of the tibia bone by the knee joint.
- Bruce Latimer, director of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History in Ohio, said an ankle bone and tibia discovered at the site proves the creature walked upright.
- The kneecap is then moved across to the outer side of the knee to expose the knee joint behind it, between the tibia (shin bone) and the femur (thigh bone).
1.1 Zoology The tibiotarsus of a bird.
- A bird with a broken tibia popped off her own cast after a week.
- Severely affected birds may have a marked bowing of the tibia, be reluctant to move, and have a stilted gait.
- The bird's tibia (lower leg bone) has been fused with some of the upper bones of the foot to form the tibiotarsus.
1.2 Entomology The fourth segment of the leg of an insect, between the femur and the tarsus.
- In addition to the pretarsus, tarsus, tibia and femur, insects have two proximal (closer to the body) segments not shown in the figure.
- Both sexes have a pair of ‘spurs’ on each hind leg where the tibia, or fourth leg segment, joins the tarsus, or foot.
- The claw is closeable over its entire length and the prey is fixed between the femur (upper arm) and the tibia (lower arm) of the insect leg.
late Middle English: from Latin, 'shin bone'.
- Example sentences
- The most common fracture was patellar fracture, followed by fractures of the tibial spine and proximal tibia.
- When aligned, the surgeon drilled into the medullary canal of the tibia and seated the tibial prosthesis.
- One patient did require revision of the tibial tubercle osteotomy because of traumatic displacement.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan