- A customs officer who boarded ships on their arrival to enforce the customs regulations.More example sentences
- In less than twenty minutes he was on his way up town, and with him were four tidewaiters and Sergeant Sparrow.
- Pickering studied the local dialect and the written language while working as a tidewaiter.
- Archibald signed his warrant as a tidewaiter on 3 September 1794, his salary was 5 pounds a quarter paid at the end of the period to ensure his faithfulness to his employer.
More definitions of tidewaiterDefinition of tidewaiter in:
- The US English dictionary