Definition of tierce in English:
3(In piquet) a sequence of three cards of the same suit.
- You might sink an additional trio or tierce if the three points gained would cause you to fail to win the cards.
- Currently, the government tax is 12 per cent on simple pools such as win, place and quinella, and 20 per cent on exotic bets like tierce, double tierce and triple tierce.
4 Fencing The third of eight parrying positions.
- He reduced the number of useful guards to four and named them, ‘prima, seconda, terza and quarta ‘corresponding somewhat to our modern prime, second, tierce and quarte.’
- A commonly used sabre parry, the three or tierce, is rarely seen in foil or épée so can be used to your advantage once you have mastered it.
late Middle English: variant of terce.
tierce de Picardie
- Music A major third in the final chord of a piece in a minor key.Example sentences
- Duality is resolved in a final tierce de Picardie.
- Beginning in the relative major it marches through just about every key until finally finishing off with a densely orchestrated, most satisfying tierce de Picardie.
- The four-part Fugue is in irregular 5/4 time, rigorously built up and emotionally profound as well as frantic; it leads to another transcendental tierce de Picardie.
Definition of tierce in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan