Entry from US English dictionary
1(Of a garment) fitting close to and showing the contours of the body.
- She's utterly disgusted as she surveys the tight-fitting garments, the gloves, the fishnets, the smudged eyeliner.
- Trousers were tight-fitting and included flat-fronts and pleating.
- There is no evidence to suggest wearing a tight-fitting bra or underwired bra can cause breast cancer.
1.1(Of a lid or cover) forming a tight seal when placed on a container.
- Pour the boiling water in the base of the steamer, place the plate in the steaming basket and set over the boiling water, covering it with the tight-fitting lid.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Most food-storage containers with tight-fitting lids provide adequate protection in the refrigerator.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.