(also timothy grass)
- A Eurasian grass which is widely grown for grazing and hay. It is naturalized in North America, where many cultivars have been developed.
More example sentences
- Phleum pratense, family Gramineae
- The majority of their diet should be free-choice grass hays such as timothy, orchard grass or brome.
- Most horses today on pasture only have one or two varieties of grass usually timothy, orchard grass with some degree of clover and fescue.
- The best source of fiber is hay, such as timothy, alfalfa, oat, or orchard grass.
mid 18th century: named after Timothy Hanson, the American farmer who introduced it to Carolina from New York (circa1720).
More definitions of timothyDefinition of timothy in:
- The US English dictionary