Definition of timpani in English:
Kettledrums, especially when played by one musician in an orchestra.
- Concertos for the timpani or kettledrums, the big boys of the orchestra, are certainly unusual but not entirely neglected.
- It therefore follows the example of Stravinsky's Concerto for Piano in being scored for an accompanying wind ensemble plus double bass and timpani rather than orchestra.
- The sound is still aggressive, but it's more orchestrated, so the other two musicians just play timpani and a couple songs with just drums and guitar, respectively.
- Example sentences
- During the long introduction of the Finale, the timpanist is required to re-tune his instrument for the key change that follows.
- I could have easily been a concert percussionist and made a sweet living being lead timpanist for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
- Only serious timpanists with outstanding intonation skills should attempt Batigne's Duplex.
Words that rhyme with timpanisixpenny • tuppenny
Definition of timpani in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan