Dry, flammable material, such as wood or paper, used for lighting a fire: they slashed down the undergrowth for tinder [count noun]: he lit it with a tinder
More example sentences
- The teenage pyromaniacs experimented with different fuel sources, different sorts of fats (some very smelly) and oils, moss, dry rotten wood and home baked tinder using a cotton handkerchief.
- In the same way as a magnifying glass can be used in bright sunlight to set fire to dry tinder, sound energy can be focused and used to raise temperatures to the point at which the cells will die.
- In forests that by nature burn lightly and frequently, putting out every fire can leave tinder to build up and fuel a much greater conflagration.
- More example sentences
- Simply drop down into dense trees, gather some tindery branches, break out your lighter, ignite the wrapper, and start a bonfire.
- On account of the tindery condition of the woods we made our fire on the natural pavement, and selected a smooth place for our bed near by on the flat rock, with a pool of limpid water at the foot.
Definition of tinder in:
- The US English dictionary