- 1A thing that is readily ignited: dry winds and no rain have turned parts of the state into a tinderbox • figurative the estate was a tinderbox where riots could explode at any momentMore example sentences
- And, a three-year drought has turned forests and swamps to tinderboxes.
- Everyone knew the stand was a bit of a tinderbox, but none actually thought it would go up.
- Even so, an ongoing drought and millions of acres of dead, bark beetle infected trees have turned much of the west into a potential tinderbox.
- 2 • historical A box containing tinder, flint, a steel, and other items for kindling fires.More example sentences
- Iron and flint I had in my brass tinderbox, and I knelt down by the rocky ledge and began to gather bits of bark.
- I flicked open the tinderbox, struggled with the flint several times before getting a light, and held it up with a shaking hand.
- Nearby Silas's cottage, they find a tinderbox, which makes a townsman recall that a peddler who'd come to town recently carried a tinderbox.