1 Greek Mythology Any of the older gods who preceded the Olympians and were the children of Uranus (Heaven) and Gaia (Earth). Led by Cronus, they overthrew Uranus; Cronus' son, Zeus, then rebelled against his father and eventually defeated the Titans.
- He was one of the Titans, the children of Gaia and Ouranos, Earth and Sky.
- They survived the war between the Titans and the Olympians and became servants of Zeus.
- Thrust it down, below the depths of Tartarus, into the lightless prison of the Titans!
1.1 (as noun a titan) A person or thing of very great strength, intellect, or importance: a titan of American industry
More example sentences
- He saw himself as a titan, a giant among his peers, towering above the rest of the pack.
- Where once he was a titan, today he appears to have lost political and personal bearings.
- To get a sense of Powell's post-government marketability, I paid a visit to a titan of that industry, Nels Olson.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Titan
Definition of Titan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.