- An African plover related to the lapwing, with a distinctive plaintive cry.
More example sentences
- Vanellus melanopterus, family Charadridae. Alternative name: black-winged plover
- The titihoya has deserted the barren land around Ndotsheni, but still cries on the rich farms upland.
- If one stated this problem in other terms they might interpret the titihoya of Africa as the loon of Minnesota.
- More than 410 species are represented here, including ten species of heron, cormorants, fish eagles, the rare black-winged plover and saddle-bill storks.
1940s: from Zulu, of imitative origin.