- The spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus, typically in the form of a rounded cap on a stalk, especially one that is believed to be inedible or poisonous. See also mushroom.More example sentences
- The fly agaric or fairy toadstool grows here too, especially under birch along with other woodland fungi.
- All around the two girls grew large specimens of fungi: mushrooms nearly as tall as them grew from the ground, and toadstools and bracken protruded from the rocky walls in clumps.
- In the UK we have an estimated 12,000 species of fungi, many of which produce large and attractively coloured fruit bodies we all know as mushrooms and toadstools.
late Middle English: a fanciful name.
More definitions of toadstoolDefinition of toadstool in:
- The US English dictionary