- Any of several closely related compounds, found in wheatgerm oil, egg yolk, and leafy vegetables, which collectively constitute vitamin E. They are fat-soluble alcohols with antioxidant properties, important in the stabilization of cell membranes.More example sentences
- Vitamin E is a mixture of several related compounds known as tocopherols.
- Many E-numbers are found naturally in foods and may include essential vitamins, such as ascorbic acid and tocopherols.
- Certain vitamins like tocopherol and ascorbic acid are also suggested to have a strong free radical scavenging properties.
1930s: from Greek tokos 'offspring' + pherein 'to bear' + -ol.
More definitions of tocopherolDefinition of tocopherol in:
- The US English dictionary