1Clothes: running togs
More example sentences
- We could never emulate that spread when we had one ‘best’ set of clothes, school togs and the cousin's hand-me-down scruffs we mucked around in the rest of the time.
- While we would like people to wear the right togs, just because don't shouldn't mean they are excluded.
- I recommend you all wear your summer togs because you may not get another chance this year!
1.1Australian /NZ & Irish A swimming costume.
- After breakfast, they will pack their swimming togs and snorkel gear, and head up north to the Great Barrier Reef.
- You'd go to the Lido, but you haven't got any swimming togs.
- I had a big tanned U on my back from constantly wearing swimming togs.
verb(be/get togged up/out) Back to top
Be or get dressed for a particular occasion or activity: we got togged up in our glad rags
More example sentences
- Revellers togged up in suits and fancy vintage dresses groove the night away against a projected backdrop of classic films, footage of a bygone Birmingham and, later in the evening, eye-popping burlesque routines.
- I start getting togged up at 6.50 pm, but there's a vocal warm-up at 6.30 pm and I'm happy to be missing out on that!
- So I got myself togged up in the required fisherman's smock, with those handy pockets for putting things in.
Words that rhyme with togagog, befog, blog, bog, clog, cog, dog, flog, fog, grog, hog, Hogg, hotdog, jog, log, nog, prog, slog, smog, snog, sprog, tautog, trog
A unit of thermal resistance used to express the insulating properties of clothes and quilts.
- There's nothing I like more than being warm and cosy under a 2-layered 15 tog quilt.
- I paid my first visit to a launderette for 21 years today in order to wash the two halves of our 15 - tog 3-year old super-kingsize duvet.
- After that, I went off and spent a thousand quid on bedding: three duvets with different tog weights, silk sheets.
1940s: from tog1, on the pattern of an earlier unit called the clo (first element of clothes).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan