- 1Clothes: running togsMore example sentences
- We could never emulate that spread when we had one ‘best’ set of clothes, school togs and the cousin's hand-me-down scruffs we mucked around in the rest of the time.
- While we would like people to wear the right togs, just because don't shouldn't mean they are excluded.
- I recommend you all wear your summer togs because you may not get another chance this year!
- 1.1Australian /NZ & Irish A swimming costume.More example sentences
- After breakfast, they will pack their swimming togs and snorkel gear, and head up north to the Great Barrier Reef.
- You'd go to the Lido, but you haven't got any swimming togs.
- I had a big tanned U on my back from constantly wearing swimming togs.
verb(be/get togged up/out) Back to top
- Be or get dressed for a particular occasion or activity: we got togged up in our glad ragsMore example sentences
- Revellers togged up in suits and fancy vintage dresses groove the night away against a projected backdrop of classic films, footage of a bygone Birmingham and, later in the evening, eye-popping burlesque routines.
- I start getting togged up at 6.50 pm, but there's a vocal warm-up at 6.30 pm and I'm happy to be missing out on that!
- So I got myself togged up in the required fisherman's smock, with those handy pockets for putting things in.
early 18th century (as a slang term for a coat or outer garment): apparently an abbreviation of obsolete criminals' slang togeman(s) 'a light cloak', from French toge or Latin toga (see toga).
- A unit of thermal resistance used to express the insulating properties of clothes and quilts.More example sentences
- There's nothing I like more than being warm and cosy under a 2-layered 15 tog quilt.
- I paid my first visit to a launderette for 21 years today in order to wash the two halves of our 15 - tog 3-year old super-kingsize duvet.
- After that, I went off and spent a thousand quid on bedding: three duvets with different tog weights, silk sheets.
1940s: from tog1, on the pattern of an earlier unit called the clo (first element of clothes).