- But she was fastened into her duties like a toggle into a duffel coat.
- When Adam had received a cut, after being hit in the eye by a duffel coat toggle, action had been taken.
- Duffle coat toggles used to be made from such nuts.
- Heavier objects can be supported with a molly style hollow wall fastener, a spiral threaded fastener, or a toggle bolt.
- If only one stud is located behind a unit, add a toggle bolt as an additional fastener.
- If you happen to hit framing while drilling, use a screw instead of a toggle bolt at that location.
- These include a power toggle with an LED power indicator, an input toggle to choose which video feed is functional, and an on-screen menu on/off switch.
- One of the control buttons is a toggle for the SuperBright feature (on, off, and movie), another button is a reset, and the remaining buttons control the menu system.
- The mixer application includes a nice feature for headphone use: a toggle switch turns on a small pre-amp that boosts signal output.
- While you are typing, there's a button which toggles between CAPS, lower case, numbers, and punctuation modes.
- One button toggles power on and off, another resets the display, and one exits the on-screen menu.
- The pilot will be able to use the touch-screen, manually toggle through the screens using the buttons on the throttle and side-stick controller or use a voice recognition system.
Mid 18th century (originally in nautical use): of unknown origin.
Toggle was originally in nautical use, a term for a short pin passed through a loop of a rope to keep it in place. The origin is obscure but there is probably a relationship with tangle. The word's generalization to a ‘fastener’ on a strap or garment dates from the late 19th century. It has been used as a term in computing since the 1980s for a command that has the opposite effect on successive occasions: the notion is one of turning through 90 degrees.
Words that rhyme with toggleboggle, goggle, joggle, synagogal, woggle
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tog¦gle
Definition of toggle in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.