Definition of tok-tokkie in English:
noun (plural tok-tokkies)South African
1 [mass noun] A children’s game that involves tricking a victim, especially by knocking on a door and running away before it is answered.
- She forgot the most elementary rule of tok-tokkie, which is to run like hell after you have knocked on the door, not stand around and actually tell the police you did the knocking.
2A dark rounded African beetle which strikes its abdomen on the ground, making a rapid tapping sound to attract a mate.
- Dichtha and other genera, family Tenebrionidae
- Busy, often burrowing insects such as tok-tokkies and sunspiders scuttle across the desert floor.
- South African tok-tokkies drum their abdomens against soil and rocks to attract mates.
- Many of the tok-tokkies prevent evaporation of water from their bodies by producing a waxy coating that keeps the water in.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan