noun (plural tok-tokkies)South African
- 1 [mass noun] A children’s game that involves tricking a victim, especially by knocking on a door and running away before it is answered.More example sentences
- She forgot the most elementary rule of tok-tokkie, which is to run like hell after you have knocked on the door, not stand around and actually tell the police you did the knocking.
- 2A dark rounded African beetle which strikes its abdomen on the ground, making a rapid tapping sound to attract a mate.
More example sentences
- Dichtha and other genera, family Tenebrionidae
- Busy, often burrowing insects such as tok-tokkies and sunspiders scuttle across the desert floor.
- South African tok-tokkies drum their abdomens against soil and rocks to attract mates.
- Many of the tok-tokkies prevent evaporation of water from their bodies by producing a waxy coating that keeps the water in.
early 20th century (in sense 2): Afrikaans, from Dutch tokken 'to tap', of imitative origin.