Definition of tokenism in English:
The practice of making only a perfunctory or symbolic effort to do a particular thing, especially by recruiting a small number of people from under-represented groups in order to give the appearance of sexual or racial equality within a workforce: the use of gay supporting characters is mere tokenism
More example sentences
- Simply electing a few women to assume key political positions is mere tokenism, and should fool no one.
- As quota critics have long maintained, heavy-handed quota schemes don't promote true racial diversity, only politically correct tokenism.
- I am inclined to think that such moves are mere tokenism.
- Example sentences
- The result was largely tokenistic, with few of the female members feeling welcome there.
- Despite a revived interest in Scottish identity in recent years, the teaching of Scottish history is patchy and tokenistic with glaring gaps spanning hundreds of years.
- Maybe her new job will be the making of her; on the evidence we have so far, however, it is difficult to see her appointment as anything but entirely tokenistic.
Definition of tokenism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.