(also tôle tɔːl)
Definition of tole in English:
Painted, enamelled, or lacquered tin plate used to make decorative domestic objects: [as modifier]: colourfully painted tole accessories
More example sentences
- Many of our other lawn and garden projects are also popular with tole painters, including our planter collection that consists of a garden wheelbarrow, plump little pig, and dairy cow planter.
- The wall design unfolded like a connect-the-dots drawing; it started with the tole tray and blue-and-white platter, then built up and out from there until a pleasing pattern developed.
- Example sentences
- Inside the restored corn mill we admired a variety of highly decorated canal boats, toleware and artifacts.
- A small French toleware annular lamp stands on the sideboard to the right.
- This white and green toleware mirror was created for the most elegant of dressing tables or powder rooms.
1940s: French tôle, 'sheet iron', from dialect taule 'table', from Latin tabula 'flat board'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.