A member of an American Indian people that flourished in Mexico before the Aztecs.
- Highly developed cultures, including those of the Olmecs, Mayas, Toltecs, and Aztecs existed long before the Spanish conquest.
- The Maya, Olmecs, Toltecs, and Aztecs built cities and pyramids.
- Every continent has its fallen giants - the Inca, Maya, Aztec, Toltec, Olmec, and Anasazi of the Americas; Rome, Greece, Byzantium, Assyria, Egypt around the Mediterranean.
Relating to the Toltecs.
- Chichen Itza is a sacred Mayan and Toltec site.
- Maya culture remained, albeit in slightly different form, flourishing in northern parts of Yucatán down to AD 1000 when Toltec invasions caused further changes.
- Having little to offer other than their reputation as warriors, the Mexica hired themselves out as mercenaries to rival Toltec factions.
- Example sentences
- Somewhere around the year 750 AD the city was destroyed and plundered probably by groups of Toltecan origin.
- This rite dates back to the Mayan and Toltecan period in history.
- It has buildings representative of the eighteenth century, and it is close to an archaeological zone of Toltecan and Tarascan influence.
Via Spanish from Nahuatl toltecatl, literally 'a person from Tula' (see Tula).
Definition of Toltec in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.