noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A colourless liquid hydrocarbon present in coal tar and petroleum and used as a solvent and in organic synthesis.
More example sentences
- Alternative name: methylbenzene; chemical formula: C6H5CH3
- The raw materials for today's dyes are mainly aromatic hydrocarbons: benzene, toluene, naphthalene, anthracene, pyrene, and others.
- In combination with nitric acid, toluene gives trinitrotoluene.
- The powdered bark can also be treated with solvents, such as toluene, or amyl alcohol to extract the quinine.
More definitions of tolueneDefinition of toluene in:
- The US English dictionary