Definition of tomatillo in English:
noun (plural tomatillos)
1An edible purple or yellow fruit which is chiefly used for sauces and preserves.
- The first course is a Mexican Baja lobster ceviche made with Patron 100 percent agave tequila, lobster, yellow grapefruit and tomatillos served with a Dos Equis or Negro Modelo beer.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatillos and cook until the onion turns translucent.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, tomatillos, jalapeno and garlic.
2The Mexican plant, related to the Cape gooseberry, which bears the tomatillo.
- Physalis philadelphica, family Solanaceae
- We raised several kinds of tomatoes, peppers, and squash, as well as beans, corn, tomatillos, watermelons, and an assortment of herbs and flowers, all in about 400 square feet.
- The tomatillo fruits well in Queensland, Australia, and in S. Africa.
early 20th century: from Spanish, diminutive of tomate 'tomato'.
Definition of tomatillo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan