noun (plural same or tomcods)
- A small edible greenish-brown North American fish of the cod family, popular with anglers.
More example sentences
- Genus Microgadus, family Gadidae: M. proximus of the Pacific coasts, and M. tomcod of the Atlantic coasts and fresh water
- Common fish species in the area include atlantic tomcod, mummichog, redfish, herring, silver hake, Greenland halibut, and the dangerously overfished northern cod.
- Some of the predatory fish of the ecozone are brook trout and Atlantic tomcod.
- Microgadus tomcod is a close relation of the cod but much smaller and found only in the NW Atlantic, from Labrador down to Virginia.
More definitions of tomcodDefinition of tomcod in:
- The US English dictionary