- A particular sequence of the twelve notes of the chromatic scale used as a basis for twelve-note (serial) music.More example sentences
- The effect is heightened by the wide leaps in the violin part; starting on a high C, the music leaps down nearly two octaves to a low D, then to an E flat in between, and so on, till all twelve notes of a tone row have been used.
- The composer says that each note of her twelve tone row represents a month.
- Its long first movement derives its thematic material from a seven-note chord in the Beethoven 9th Symphony's finale and one formed by Ginastera from the remaining five notes that complete the tone row.
More definitions of tone rowDefinition of tone row in:
- The US English dictionary