1Too shy or embarrassed to speak: Barbara was tongue-tied in the presence of her parents
More example sentences
- Neither could really speak, being tongue-tied and breathless.
- Anonymous messaging and chat rooms let you flirt to your heart's content without any embarrassment or getting tongue-tied.
- He became tongue-tied, embarrassed, and never acted like himself.
2Having a malformation restricting the movement of the tongue.
- I was born tongue-tied in the most literal sense: the tissue connecting my tongue to the floor of my mouth was short and thick, limiting lingual movement.
- If you are medically tongue-tied, you shouldn't be able to touch the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth with your mouth open as wide as you can.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: tongue-tied
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.