noun (plural same or tonguefishes)
- A small teardrop-shaped flatfish of warm seas, which is an important food fish in some areas.
More example sentences
- Family Cynoglossidae: Symphurus and other genera; numerous species
- Currently, the tonguefish is being analysed and classified at the Smithsonian.
- In each late August during the experiment years, a pair of 135 hp trawlers was used to catch adult tonguefish in the central and western parts of the Laizhou Bay, the Bohai Sea.
- These particular tonguefish seem to specialize in living right at the openings of the underwater volcanoes in places most fish would, and do, die.