(also Patagonian toothfish)
A large deep-sea fish of the southern Atlantic and Pacific oceans, prized as food and now endangered.
- Dissostichus eleginoides, family Nototheniidae
More example sentences
- But during studies of the foraging behavior of Weddell seals, the researchers acquired considerable data on two important fish species: the Antarctic silverfish and the Antarctic toothfish.
- But that seems unlikely: two decades of intensive deep-sea fishing in the North Atlantic have turned up only that lone toothfish.
- According to a report released last month by the wildlife trade monitoring network TRAFFIC, Chile exports nearly 80 percent of its toothfish catch each year to Japan and the U.S. to the tune of U.S. $90 million.
Definition of toothfish in:
- The US English dictionary