- A Eurasian plant which is parasitic on the roots of hazel and beech, with a thick rhizome bearing rows of tooth-like scales.
More example sentences
- Lathraea squamaria, family Scrophulariaceae (or Orobanchaceae)
- The forest has not been cut for 300 years, and I found myself surrounded by ground flora such as Solomon's seal, lily of the valley, yellow wood anemone, toothwort, asarabacca, herb paris and hepatica.
- Among them are Dutchman's breeches, spring-beauty, and various species of toothwort, trillium, and violet.
- Sheltering the camera, I take a shot in the woods with toothworts and white trillium and falling snow.