See parent entry: top
Definition of top and tail in English:
1Remove the top and bottom of (a fruit or vegetable) while preparing it as food: top and tail the beans and pull away any fibrous side threads
More example sentences
- We already know that if we want to eat a carrot safely, we need to generously peel, top and tail it first to remove organophosphate pesticides.
- As soon as the beetroot is cool enough to handle, top and tail it and remove the skin.
- However, as he explains: a favourite way to cook young ones is to top and tail the pod, trim off the stringy edges and slice the pod very thin with the beans still in it.
2Wash the face and bottom of (a baby or small child).
- Before the umbilical cord stump drops off, you can just top and tail your baby, using a bowl of warm water, baby lotion and a soft cloth or cotton wool.
- If your baby doesn't like baths, ‘top and tail’ her on alternate days - use cotton wool and warm water for eyes and face, and a washcloth for hands and bottom.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan