Definition of top-sawyer in English:
1A sawyer holding the upper handle of a pit saw and standing in the upper position above the saw pit.
- The top-sawyer, standing on a tall sawhorse here, was required to pull the saw up and direct it carefully.
- Every street was a sawpit, and there were no top-sawyers; every passenger was an under-sawyer, with the sawdust blinding him and choking him.
1.1 archaic A distinguished person.
- These are top-sawyers with more than 10 years work experience in the field of metrology.
- There are some grinders who have superior opera instruments, and who are reg'ler top-sawyers of the purfession.
- See-saw is the fashion of England always; and the Whigs will soon be the top-sawyers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan