Definition of top-shelf in English:
1British (Of a magazine) pornographic.
- Naked women belong in top-shelf magazines, not in a publication which should inform on the news of the day (debatable, I concede).
- We get to visit one American women's group which specialises in a form of photography normally associated with top-shelf magazines.
- Scotland on Sunday has learned that BoS provided over £5m in debt financing to a start-up called Remnant Media, which has bought 45 top-shelf magazines from Desmond for £20m.
2chiefly North American Of a high quality; excellent: some top-shelf cars are shipped overseas
More example sentences
- This was a label that dominated musically as well as attracting and nurturing top-shelf vocal talent.
- The Hotel Sliven was a Communist-era behemoth that I wouldn't recommend to anyone expecting top-shelf service and quality.
- It's always frustrating to watch an artist with top-shelf talent reach that inadvertently satiated moment when there's really nothing important to say, nothing to add.
Definition of top-shelf in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.