- Example sentences
- Furtive and nimble tipplers and topers nightly dodged through alleys and back yards under the noses of the flashlamp-carrying guards.
- One of them asks all serious topers to banish moderate drinkers from parties and to drink until speech becomes impaired and walking impossible.
- He looks at the spectator good-naturedly and unintelligently, with the suspicious expression of an inveterate toper [habitual drinker].
Words that rhyme with topeaslope, cope, dope, elope, grope, hope, interlope, lope, mope, nope, ope, pope, rope, scope, soap, taupe, trope
A small greyish slender-bodied shark, occurring chiefly in inshore waters.
- Genus Galeorhinus, family Carcharhinidae: the East Atlantic G. galeus, favoured by British sea anglers, and the commercially important G. australis of Australia
- Chunking in the vicinity of fish means blue sharks, tope and spurdogs.
- What looked like a cross between a tope and a bull huss looked decidedly unhappy and I had to run over and get a glimpse of the biggest fish I had ever seen taken from the shore.
- The tope shark is considered harmless to humans because of its small size and its preference for small prey items.
Late 17th century: perhaps of Cornish origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan