noun(also topgallant mast)
1The section of a square-rigged sailing ship’s mast immediately above the topmast.
- Then the topgallant masts and sail fell onto the forecastle, dragging in the water until cut free.
- The jibsails came down smoothly, then the topsails, until only the topgallants were still drawing.
- On the topgallant mast is the topgallant sail, on big vessels divided into two sails, like the topsail.
1.1 (also topgallant sail) A sail set on a topgallant mast.
- Above the upper topsails are the topgallant sails and above these, the royals and the skysails.
- On large ships, the topgallant sail sometimes comprises 2 separate sails for the same reason.
- In a short time the topgallant sails and mainsail were handed and preparations made to reef the fore topsail.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: top|gal¦lant
Definition of topgallant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.