1A knot of hair arranged on the top of the head.
- Many of them keep long hairs arranged as a topknot known as dhammil in their community but not all of them keep their hair in the same style.
- Crimping of the bangs will add texture and fullness to the front of your face while crimping of a topknot or ponytail will add height.
- Cassandra started wearing her brown hair in a topknot ponytail as it grew to her lower back.
1.1A decorative knot or bow of ribbon worn on the top of the head, popular in the 18th century.
- The Templars' helmet topknots fluttered in a mass of red cloth.
- We discern dangling-armed, doll-like Pierrot, the black-masked face and gaudy triangle-patched jumpsuit of Harlequin, the pert topknot of Columbine, the striped jerkin and rakish cowl of Mezzetin.
- In the later images she would have been vulnerable to the charge of excessive luxury by wearing a topknot - the cause of some considerable ballad debate over sartorial morality in the 1690s.
1.2(In an animal or bird) a tuft or crest of hair or feathers.
- All green, blue on the leading edges of the wings, a red topknot and red cheek patches; flies beautifully with a swooping flight, more or less like a rosella and it screeches as it flies and this is its territorial call.
- The Irish Water Spaniel is often called the clown of the spaniel family, possibly due to the unique appearance of a characteristic topknot together with a peak of curly hair between the eyes.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: top|knot
Definition of topknot in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.