- A neck ornament consisting of a band of twisted metal, worn especially by the ancient Gauls and Britons.More example sentences
- Around the chieftain's neck lay a gold torc, and on his right wrist was a gold bracelet.
- They are portrayed by themselves as having wavy swept-back hair, heavy moustaches on the men, and wearing a metal torc or neck-ring.
- They appear to have been a wealthy and powerful tribe in the 1st and 2nd cents. BC, for from their territory come the finest hoards of gold torcs found in Iron Age Britain.
mid 19th century: from French torque, from Latin torques (see torch).
More definitions of torcDefinition of torc in:
- The US English dictionary