Definition of torch song in English:
A sad or sentimental love song, typically about unrequited love.
- Call it a torch song, or a saloon song - categorize it as you wish.
- The glossy black-haired beauty swayed up on the stage, her full breasts straining against the simple gown she wore as she sang a torch song.
- ‘Surrender’, meanwhile, is a sweltering torch song of exponentially intensifying guitar glissandos and unfettered angst.
torch singer noun
- Example sentences
- At an outdoor plaza on Main, a crowd watches a free screening of ‘Seabiscuit’ Down the street inside the Sonnet Gallery, a trio accompanies a raven-haired torch singer of Cuban-style ballads.
- Last autumn the Essex torch singer played her first concert dates in six years and she so enjoyed the experience, she is touring again, playing York Barbican Centre tonight.
- It's as if they're trying too hard to show every last facet of this multi-faceted vocalist who appears to be as comfortable playing the entertainer as she is in torch singer or soul diva mode.
Definition of torch song in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India