- 1A person who carries a ceremonial torch.More example sentences
- The talented dancer will have the world's gaze on her when she becomes one of the torch-bearers carrying the Olympic flame through London.
- The Bulgarian itinerary for the Olympic Torch Relay will include 25 selected torch-bearers of all professional backgrounds, and ages varying from 14 to 80.
- There were little torch-bearers who declared the ‘mini Olympic’ open, there was a march past as part of the event and even cheerleaders.
- 1.1A person who leads or inspires others in working towards a valued goal: some of the original feminist torchbearersMore example sentences
- A bright-eyed and smiling torch-bearer, she leads the only private, non-profit organisation devoted to on-site conservation of monuments and sites worldwide.
- Vedanta and KCM, being the good partners they have proved, should be torch-bearers in helping realise such a dream.
- The country to show that it has embraced democracy should be a torch-bearer in promoting dialogue.
More definitions of torchbearerDefinition of torchbearer in:
- The US English dictionary