Definition of torchbearer in English:
1A person who carries a ceremonial torch.
- The talented dancer will have the world's gaze on her when she becomes one of the torch-bearers carrying the Olympic flame through London.
- The Bulgarian itinerary for the Olympic Torch Relay will include 25 selected torch-bearers of all professional backgrounds, and ages varying from 14 to 80.
- There were little torch-bearers who declared the ‘mini Olympic’ open, there was a march past as part of the event and even cheerleaders.
1.1A person who leads or inspires others in working towards a valued goal: some of the original feminist torchbearers
More example sentences
- A bright-eyed and smiling torch-bearer, she leads the only private, non-profit organisation devoted to on-site conservation of monuments and sites worldwide.
- Vedanta and KCM, being the good partners they have proved, should be torch-bearers in helping realise such a dream.
- The country to show that it has embraced democracy should be a torch-bearer in promoting dialogue.
Definition of torchbearer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan