Definition of toreutics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The art of making designs in relief or intaglio, especially by chasing, carving, and embossing in metal.
- A significant number of the monuments of Thracian toreutics have been found at burial sites.
- The Scythians rejected the Greek way of life, but their aristocracy frequently used jewelry and toreutics made by the Greeks especially for them and adapted to their taste.
- The monuments of the Thracian toreutics present the image of the king as a horseman.
- Example sentences
- It can convey the effect of plastic, glyptic, or toreutic (metalworking).
- This was the production of bronze vessels bearing beautiful decorations made in toreutic technique.
- They were made by toreutic craftsmen and displayed signs of different schools.
Mid 19th century: from Greek toreutikos, from toreuein 'to work in relief'.
Definition of toreutics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.