Definition of toreutics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
The art of making designs in relief or intaglio, especially by chasing, carving, and embossing in metal.
- A significant number of the monuments of Thracian toreutics have been found at burial sites.
- The Scythians rejected the Greek way of life, but their aristocracy frequently used jewelry and toreutics made by the Greeks especially for them and adapted to their taste.
- The monuments of the Thracian toreutics present the image of the king as a horseman.
Mid 19th century: from Greek toreutikos, from toreuein 'to work in relief'.
- Example sentences
- It can convey the effect of plastic, glyptic, or toreutic (metalworking).
- This was the production of bronze vessels bearing beautiful decorations made in toreutic technique.
- They were made by toreutic craftsmen and displayed signs of different schools.
Definition of toreutics in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan