noun (plural same)
- The gateway of a Shinto shrine, with two uprights and two crosspieces.More example sentences
- Taki and Eiko stopped before the torii of the local Shinto shrine, staring at the cobblestone walkway surrounded by a lush, well-trimmed carpet of grass.
- The torii - ornate jinja entranceway with sloping sides and flat top, painted red - on the beach is one of Japan's most famous sights.
- And the red in the torii gate at the shrine entrance repels sins and keeps away evil spirits, while trees around the shrine protect spiritual grounds.
Japanese, from tori 'bird' + i 'sit, perch'.
More definitions of toriiDefinition of torii in:
- The US English dictionary