Definition of tortilla in English:
1(In Mexican cookery) a thin, flat pancake made from maize flour, eaten hot or cold, typically with a savoury filling.
- Cornmeal is patted into a thin pancake called a tortilla.
- Later, Sahagún tells us, they feasted agreeably on ‘white tortillas, grains of maize, turkey eggs, turkeys, and all kinds of fruit’.
- The warm tortillas were thin and tender, crisp outside and yielding inside, with the rich sweetness of flour bound with salt and fat.
2(In Spanish cookery) an omelette.
- Among our tapas selections, the Spanish tortilla had none of the eggy allure this traditional potato omelet can exhibit.
- It is always served buffet style as a selection of culinary delights such as olives, fish or tortilla which the Spanish pick and choose from.
- The Spanish tortilla, La Tasca style, is an omelette of mashed potatoes and onion, mildly seasoned.
Spanish, diminutive of torta 'cake'.
Words that rhyme with tortillaseguidilla
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan